Performance Review Toolkit
Why is Performance Management and Appraising Employees important during these uncertain times?
Chloe Carey, one of our Business Growth Advisors who until recently ran her own successful HR Consultancy, has put together this performance review toolkit, ideal for managing staff in these challenging times, and particularly useful for return to work interviews with furloughed employees.
Performance management is fundamental to the effectiveness of today’s organisations in these challenging times – each person can make a difference and collectively, a workforce that performs at high levels can help the Company survive and prosper.
In normal circumstances performance management consists of two parallel processes: the informal, day-to-day management of individuals and teams and a more formal framework within which a two-way conversation takes place to discuss impact, development and growth (usually called an Appraisal).
In the current circumstances the usual approach may not be applicable as most companies will be trying to manage their teams in very different ways to normal, it likely that there will be a mix of employees in several different camps; those who are furloughed, or teams who are working from home, whilst others may be coming into the workplace because its business as usual for their role.
It is important to consider the current position of each group of employees and adapt the conversations you have appropriately. The following outlines the benefits of proceeding with a form of performance management / appraisal meetings, inviting honest, genuine feedback and uncovering ways to improve performance whilst meeting the aims of the business and considering the current needs of the employee.
What are the benefits of having these discussions now?
If carried out effectively, an open and honest dialogue with your employees will provide benefits for the Employee, the Manager and the Company.
Benefits to the Employee
- receiving updates from the Company about the current position along with feedback on their performance
- understanding precisely what is expected of them especially important if they have been working from home or the company has pivoted and changed direction a result of Covid
- gaining recognition of their efforts, those working whilst others are furloughed will appreciate the acknowledgement
- recognising and addressing any problems restricting their progress, an important part of the process as we continue to explore and get used to the new ways of working
- an opportunity to contribute to discussions about their personal aspirations, along with training and development needs
Benefits to the Manager
- strengthening the relationship with the employee, helping to motivate and engage the team
- information from the employee may contribute to improvements in job design or organisation structure which could be key to survival at the present time
- opportunity to focus on each member of staff as an individual, take time to find out how the current situation is impacting them and what personal challenges they may be facing
- Agreed actions to develop each individual’s performance can contribute to better overall performance
Benefits to the Company
- Problem areas can be highlighted, and possible solutions discussed.
- Managers can review how each employee’s strengths can best be utilised within the organisation and have the opportunity to make succession plans
- Discussion of employees’ ideas and expectations enhances communication in general
- A forum to communicate the aims and future direction of the Company, lots of changes are happening across many businesses at this time
- The suitability of individual employees for promotion, more flexible working, and upskilling can be determined.
- The Company’s training needs can be analysed
- Opening questions on how things are going in general
- Progress on operational work, plans, project work etc
- What is going well
- What has not gone well and how to do things differently next time
- Personal aspirations, training and development needs, progress on any training and career progression
- Housekeeping, diary commitments, leave requests, personal challenges and other events
- Goal setting
- Any other business
- Date of future meetings
Download this 1-1 meeting template to use at your next one-to-one, performance management review, or return to work meeting.
You can also read more about reintegrating staff after furlough.